The Science and Stewardship Department undertakes focused research, inventory and monitoring projects aimed at providing increased understanding of the rare resources found on our properties. This information is used to make well-informed ecological management decisions and develop detailed plans for the Foundation’s stewardship of its conservation lands. To accomplish this, we work closely with the Properties Maintenance staff and seasonal field assistants and volunteers, as well as outside collaborators and local conservation partners.
In 2004, the Board of Trustees approved a resolution to conduct comprehensive natural resource inventory and monitoring aimed at providing critical information needed to develop detailed management plans for the Foundation’s property holdings. The following priorities were developed to guide the implementation of this effort:
- Inventory natural communities and species on Foundation properties in order to document those that are threatened, endangered, of special concern or in need of protection and management.
- Compile lists of target species and natural communities for protection and management, focusing on those that are rare on Nantucket.
- Perform monitoring and research to develop flexible management plans for target species, natural communities and individual properties, assessing each in terms of biodiversity and passive recreation value.
- Continue and expand upon efforts to provide opportunities for the public to learn about and enjoy Foundation properties by developing interpretive materials and programs that highlight the organization’s conservation mission and Nantucket’s unique biological diversity.
- Provide ongoing opportunities for the Trustees and staff to evaluate and refine the progress and results of these inventory and monitoring efforts.
Our research and monitoring projects seek to provide increased ecological understanding of the rare resources found on Foundation properties, with the goal of incorporating the results into property conservation management plans and making well-informed management decisions. More information about our many current projects may be found by clicking here.